23.1.10

Paper Doll Memoir

This is actually one of my final fashion Illustration when I'm doing my Diploma (2007). My earliest figure drawing (10+ years old) looks something like this. Is it adorable? ;-)


Hello……When you have so many possessions to distribute with the people all in the region of you, sometimes it can make you feel under the weather of it. Before I begin, I have one question to ask, when do you become conscious that you have vast potential of doing what you were dealing with now? Looking back at my preceding years- when I’m in secondary school, me and my little brother, Julian- we’re from top to bottom enthusiastic in collecting this extremely small figure called ‘Paper Doll’ (what a shame) Lord, it is so embarrassing to actually doing it and playing with it (when I was 10+ years old) In reality, this small thing is totally for ‘girls’ and for me, it’s a leisure pursuit + escapism and we were just like so ‘in to it’ because of perhaps ‘the voice’ from the above want to enlighten me with something , we’ll…….who knows?

The hilarious part is re-designing the clothes (with names such as Taylor, Sarah and so on……I can’t remember, so many cute names) for the ‘paper dolls’ to wear and also, create this award for the best evening wear plus ‘Miss World’ competition using the paper dolls as the contestant, can u imagine that? This is so crazy! (I just can’t believe that I’m actually doing it) Back in school, when teacher explaining something in front of the class, I held in reserve busying myself sketch cute little figure from page to page (at the bottom part of each pages) and it becomes a routine for me (when I receive a new textbook- later, it’s going to be my sketch book).

Playing with ideas for my final illustrations, 2010 final collections.

When some of Julian’s friends receive the same textbook, they can actually identify that, before this- it’s a Julian’s brother textbook! It is all based on my figure drawing inside the text book. For your information, I became popular because of all of my tiny illustration complete with full dress figure- accessories and shoes is everywhere, from science textbook to ‘Pendidikan Islam’ up to the wall school , tables and chairs! But now, I’m doing it for real. I’m doing it to make a living out of my life and from now, the figure drawing looks much more stylish + advance than before (process of learning!) From time to time, I’m actually improving my drawing skill and I just feel affection for doing it. It is some sort of expressing myself from within.

Finally, I stop doing what I’m in love with collecting ‘paper dolls’ because the feeling of I’m already a grown up man suddenly start to spread all over my body and I’m no longer a collector. On the other hand, I’m feeling like I am not suppose to amuse myself with this cute little thing because of I’m a boy but not yet a man! Well, it is just for fun. There is nothing wrong with it! For your information, I do take things seriously at school. I’m a good student actually except for my behaviour for rendering everywhere. Is it art or vandalism? Yeah…..it’s a cute approach of vandalism! Lord, it is so amusing to actually recall back all the memoirs of my mind. The truth is, there is nothing to be ashamed with. I’m actually proud of it! Just look at what I am now! Fashion designer in the making! So, what else?
With love, Sandra Azwan

2 comments:

Alie said...

I love the drawings !

Sandra Azwan said...

THANKS ALIE.......DO YOU WANT IT?