12.3.09

Facing reality of life......

Hello....first of all, I don’t like discrimination in the name of 'fashion' ( I’m talking about Malaysian fashion scene) especially when it refers to the next generations in fashion based on their experiences and so on. Being a young designer is a whole lot new experience that worth a thousand miles and I’m completely happy to be part of this interesting and amazing journey and at the same time I’m proud of myself, the way I am now. All of my family members were just like so ‘into it’ and it given me strength and confidence to pursue my dreams. May god bless u all. Amin.

When we talk about discrimination in fashion, this kind of thing would be something that sounds a bit controversy and for me-it shouldn’t happen! Being a ‘fashion designer’ in Malaysia, would be something like a ‘joke’ and something like it can never happen to you. It’s only a dreams and it’s hard for you to make it real. Is it true, Sandra? Well, I’m going to say that......only a blind man can make that statement and stuff. This kind of perception is absolutely annoying and totally stupid. (Sorry for those words!) But it’s true babe.

When you really get involved in it, by then you will understand what I’m saying. Even though I’m a full time student in MARA University of technology (known as UiTM) back in Shah Alam and I’m also a fashion observer plus thinker ( based on my very own point of view) there is something wrong with this ‘dog-eat-dog world’. Something that you might say it’s normal, but the truth is it’s not! That’s the reason why I would like to share my ‘point of view’ about our very own ‘Fashion Scene’ here in Malaysia. I’m not a super-talented young designer, but I’m totally great at realizing my dreams and my goals toward something that I’m in love with. I don’t care about people saying something bad to me, maybe it’s the nature of the person. Who care’s!

In 2007, I’ve been selected to be one of the finalist of Malaysia International fashion Awards ( known as MIFA8) This would be my greatest achievement ever cause’ I’m under graduate student ( doing my first Diploma in fashion) It feels like a dreams come true to me. I’ve been dreaming about this competition and finally I’m part of it. For me, being one of the MIFA8 would be like you are one of the CFDA (The Council of Fashion Designers of America) finalist. In this competition, I learn a lot and at some points I feel like I’ve been wasting my time, my energy and everything. I just don’t geddit’!

For your information, I’ve been working like hell to make sure that my creations is in good condition. I’ve been pouring my ideas and every single thing that can make it looks good on the runway, but some people just don’t get it! They just don’t understand what I’m doing. Can you believe it? It just so sad. Completely sad! Well, what can I say....that ‘so called fashion people’ just did! The truth is, I’m not working for you and there is nothing to say. At least, I’m happy with what I’m doing! I would like to add that, this is all about politics and stuff!. Done.

Let’s go back to the main point.

Reading a fashion magazine is a must for me. When you get involved in this fashion world, you must really understand the purpose of it. This is because you don’t want to be labeled as a dumb designer or a fake designer and also such a ‘poser’ designer isn’t?
‘Sandra, what do you think of fashion magazines in Malaysia?’ Is it important to you?

Well, I’m going to say that certain magazines can gives different impact to the readers itself. Depends on the target market and also range of social background and lifestyle. For the very first time in my life, I’m going to banned this fashion magazines ( made in Malaysia) it’s all because of the person that involved with the magazines is totally crazy. This kind of people, they were just like ‘drown’ by the glamorous that it brings. There is nothing wrong with it, but when you feels like you're one of the important people in this industries, it really can make you turn into a monster . I’m not talking about the devil wears Prada; I’m talking about the devil wears ‘selipar’!

When you want to talk about something that u might feels like it’s your nature, make sure you really put in your heart and your soul into it and try to understand it deeply in your heart. Don’t just say it without understand it wholeheartedly cause’ it can make you looks stupid! Furthermore, make sure that you have the qualifications and credibility to talk about certain things especially in fashion. If you don’t have the criteria that I’ve been mentioned earlier, just shut-up! If you don’t know nothing about it, how can you easily say’s this and that? The truth is, you were just like a ‘poser’-‘ so called fashion people!

Now days, our fashion scene were just like fulfilled with this ‘so called fashion people’ plus ‘so called socialite’. It’s mushrooming all over the years. If I had a chance to do something to this groups of people, I’m going to say ‘do support Malaysian young designers’ as simple as that. There is nothing wrong when you were addicted to Louis Vuitton , Prada, Christian Dior, Burberry, Hermes, Versace and so on. It just like, here...at least in Malaysia, we do have multi -talented young designers that can really makes Malaysian proud! Hatta Dolmat, Rizman Ruzaini, Hazwani Osman, Zery Zamry, Nik Erwan Roselli and lot’s more up and coming designers were just like mushrooming all over the years. In order to realizing their everlasting dreams, this group of people must really look-up to these young generations of our very own fashion scene.

If you have any suggestion , feel free to add on your comments. I really appreciate it. Thanks for reading.
Until next time,
live joyfully!

With love, Sandra.

3 comments:

Nana said...

wah so heavy! well .. if you ask me .. there is no industry that is politics-free. Even the fine-arts world is filled with politics. Trust me .. my uncle is a local artist so I know what I am talking about.

But the point is, you have to learn to cope with the politics and yet remain true to yourself. Do not get lost in the currents of negativeness and shallowness.

I am sure you'll rise. Don't worry. Its normal for people who's new to the industry to feel overwhealm by the politics. You'll get use to it after a while.

Be strong and keep true to yourself. You'll succeed soon enough :D

Jenn said...

must be something that triggered this outpour-:) I was very much apart of that year when you made it to the top8. Personally, I was truly proud of all of you who have made it, honestly. Everyone of you is so different, stylistically and philosophically (in fashion, of course). Like what Nana said, keep true to yourself and the things that you love most, time will tell...hang in there. By the way, devil in 'selipar' is a damn GOOD one! haha! How could you come up with that? So you la, Sandra-:)

rafflethazzle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.